Thursday 7 March 2013

Evaluation - Question 2

How effective is the combination of your main product and ancillary texts?

How effective is the combination of your main product and ancillary texts?

Each individual product serves a different purpose. The music video illustrates to the audience the idea behind the song and its lyrics. It also provides the audience with an idea of the style of the song. The Digipak gives the artist a sense of identity. The design, contents and features of the Digipak informs the audience of what type of artist they are personality and characteristics-wise. The poster is designed to simply promote and inform the audience of the album and its release date. After researching a number of Britpop, Indie and Alternative rock bands, I felt it was extremely important to relate the three products to some extent. Therefore I created a several recurrent themes. The first theme was based on the fact that all of my products focused largely on the lead singer. The music video, Digipak and poster contain images and clips that have close-up shots of the singer, providing emphasis on him rather than his surroundings. The second theme was a “cold” feel. I often associate the colour blue to a ‘cool’ and ‘chilled’ characteristic. I felt that this could be a nice effect to use in my products and texts. I achieved this look by using a number of different lighting and colour correction filters on all of my products during post production. My music video explains the meaning behind the lyrical content of the song through a narrative. As the name of the song is about running, I decided to produce a storyline that helped me explain this. The Digipak has helped me give the artist an identity, through the facial expressions of the lead singer in the images. The poster helps easily promote the album with the release date in large bold text. This is the largest piece of text on the poster. The audience are also immediately aware of whose album it is with the extreme close-up shot of the band’s lead singer as the main image, covering the entire poster.

No comments:

Post a Comment